My partner and I are one household who enjoys a good spicy dish, we will often eat peri peri chicken or add chilli to meats at least once a week. I set myself a little challenge to create a mood boosting and endorphin stimulating marinade using the heart of the dish ‘Chohula Hot Sauce’.
It is a product from Mexico, another reason why I was excited to experiment with the flavour.I must warn you the hot sauce is made up of two peppers:
- The Chile de árbol (Spanish for tree chili) with a fairly hot chilli rating.
- Piquin pronounced ‘pay-KEEN’ also a fairly hot reputation.
So if you are brave enough to risk their fiery heat, you will benefit from this recipe in the following ways-
- Low Fat – Gluten Free – Dairy Free
- Good Source of Vitamin C, A and E (antioxidant power house)
- A recent study in the journal Cancer Research found that hot peppers even have anti-prostate-cancer properties
- Capsaicin plays a role in reducing inflammation within the body and also help release endorphins for boosting your mood
Spicy Cholula BBQ Chicken Recipe
Prep: Pre-marinade 4hr + Cook: 45mins Serves: 4
- 1kg chicken thigh
- 1/4 finely diced purple onion
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 3 Tbsp Cholula Hot Sauce
- In a bag, add the chicken, oil, diced onion, paprika, salt, sugar and 2 Tbsp Cholula sauce. Tie the bag and massage the ingredients to coat each chicken piece thoroughly with the marinade.
- Allow to infuse in the fridge for at least 4 hours prior to cooking. It is easiest to prepare the chicken in the morning and forget about it until dinner.
- Preheat your BBQ to 200 degrees and cook the chicken on a raised rack for 35 minutes. Bring the chicken down onto the flame grill plate for 3 minutes each side.
- Serve with remaining 1 Tbsp of Cholula drizzled over the top of the flame grilled chicken pieces and a generous serve of a leafy green salad and natural greek yoghurt.
Made with Love