This recipe was inspired by the traditional hot cross bun enjoyed at Easter with the family. With a little nutritional transformation to become a less refined and super healthy version, hot cross cookies just became a crowd pleaser.
The ingredients in this wholesome cookie have nutritional benefits to keep your family feeling positive and satisfied without the sugar rush. Mums this is one for you and your children!
- Oats are an excellent source of soluble fibre so you fuller for longer.
- Cacao from the dark chocolate is rich in essential micronutrients including magnesium and iron but also a pod of protective antioxidants.
- Nuts contain healthy fats acting as an anti-inflammatory as well as a good source of skin loving Vitamin E.
Healthy Easter Hot Cross Cookies
Prep 15min | Cook 12-15min | Serves 15
- 1 cup Oats
- 1 cup Wholemeal Spelt Flour
- ¼ Nut Meal of choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Spices
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 90g Soft Butter or Dairy Free Alternative
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- ¼ cup organic raisins
- 80g dark chocolate (I used organic 85% Green & Black’s)
Preheat your oven to 360ºF (180ºC)
In a large bowl, combine the sifted spelt flour, nut meal, oats, baking powder and mixed spices.
In a separate bowl beat the butter, oil and sugar for 2 minutes.
Gradually add in the eggs one at a time and beat for another 3 minutes.
Now add all the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix through using your fork until thick cookie dough is formed. I find a combing method down the sides works well.
Finally gently mix through the crushed dark chocolate and raisins.
Place (ping pong ball) size dough onto a tray of baking paper and using the side of the handle end of your fork, gently press down a cross on each cookie. **Not Easter? Gently press down the cookies using the back of a spoon.
Bake for 12mins or as soon as you see the cookies turn a slight golden brown. Leave on a cooling rack. During this time, if the cookies have grown out of the crosses you can gently repeat the process while they are soft and warm.
Made with Love
♥ You may also love to try my Choc Bean Cookies